If you own a recreational vehicle (RV), you know that there are special needs to consider when looking for insurance coverage.
Ranked as one of the best RV insurance providers in Nationwide Finance. The company offers basic insurance coverage and various discounts. It offers various add-ons such as holiday liability, roadside assistance, safety glass replacement and towing.
Read this review to learn more about Nationwide’s RV insurance and see if it’s right for you.
Discounts are best for variety
Whether you use your RV for vacation or as a permanent home or business, Nationwide offers many discounts:
- Multi-Policy: A discount for combining your boat, home, life or other vehicle policies
- Multiple Vehicles: A discount when you bundle two or more of your ATVs, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles or scooters
- RV Association: If you are a member of an RV club, such as the National RV Owners Association
- RV Safety Course: A discount for completing an approved state RV safety course offered by the RV Safety and Education Foundation
- Claim-Free Renewal: A discount on renewal if your previous policy period was claim-free
- Previous Insurance: A discount on your premium to maintain continuous coverage on your RV or camper
- Good driver: Exemption for driving safely and being accident free for 36 consecutive months
- Full payment: A discount if you pay your full premium for your full-term policy at the time of billing
It is important to note that the specific amount of each discount may vary by state and Nationwide does not provide details without submitting a quote request for your specific RV.
Nationwide RV Insurance Pros and Cons
- Many policy coverages and bundles are available
- Allows customers to review and modify coverage
- Does not offer online quotes
- Not all discounts are listed on the website
- Many customer complaints about the claims process
Allows customers to review and modify coverage
Nationwide lets you review and change your RV insurance coverage whenever you need to. This means that you don’t have to stick with a policy that no longer suits your needs.
For example, if you bought a holiday liability add-on and no longer need it because you’re no longer travelling, you don’t have to worry about sticking to a longer contract. Instead, you can talk to a nationwide agent to cancel your coverage and you won’t be charged again.
Many policy coverages and bundles are available
Nationwide has a number of optional coverage options that you can add after purchasing an RV insurance policy, including:
- Roadside Assistance: Nationwide RV Roadside Assistance offers 24/7 emergency assistance if you need a tire change, fuel, tow or jump start. It also covers the cost of trip disruptions that may occur while you are more than 50 miles from home.
- Replacement of safety glass: It pays to replace the windshield for your RV in the event of an accident.
- Tension and Labour: It covers trip interruption costs like labor and towing, as well as transportation, lodging, and meals.
- Replacement cost and determined personal effects: Replacement cost and prescribed personal effects is an option that provides more coverage for high-value items. It is provided as primary insurance for every type of RV user. This policy coverage pays out before any other policy, which avoids the need to file a homeowners insurance claim if something happens to your RV while it’s on your property.
- Leave liability: This option provides coverage in case an accident occurs while you are using the RV as a temporary residence. Nationwide will provide up to $10,000 in coverage with any recreational-use RV that has bodily damage coverage under both collision and comprehensive coverage.
Explain the cons
Does not offer online quotes
Nationwide does not offer online RV insurance quotes. You must call Nationwide at 1-877-669-6877 or speak with a local Nationwide RV insurance agent to get a quote.
Not all discounts are listed on the website
Many available discounts are not listed on Nationwide’s website, and some only come during the quoting process. As such, you may have a challenging time determining how many discounts apply to your RV plan until you speak with a nationwide agent. This makes comparing different RV insurance plans challenging.
Nationwide RV insurance policy plans and offers
Like traditional auto insurance, Nationwide RV insurance covers you in a variety of ways for unexpected events. Its plans and offers nationwide include:
Liability for bodily injury
Nationwide Bodily Injury Liability Plan pays for bodily injury damages in an accident in which you are at fault. It can cover an injured party’s income loss and medical bills up to your coverage limit.
Uninsured motorist coverage with Nationwide pays you for damages or injuries caused by a driver who has no liability insurance. You will be reimbursed up to your coverage limit.
Although a driver may be insured, they may not have enough insurance to cover the full loss or injury. Coverage protects you by paying the portion of your damages not covered by the other driver’s coverage. You will be reimbursed up to your coverage limit.
Property damage liability insurance
Property damage liability insurance helps pay for damage to another person’s property or vehicle if you are involved in an accident that is deemed to be your fault.
It pays for damages to your RV if you hit another object or vehicle, your RV rolls over, or another vehicle hits you.
Helps pay nationwide medical expenses for you, your passengers and your family members due to accidental bodily injury while in your RV, regardless of fault.
The comprehensive option provides coverage for damage to your RV that is not caused by a collision, such as:
- Objects moving downwards
- Communicate with animals
- the fire
RV Insurance Prices Nationwide
On average, RV insurance can cost $500 to $3,000 a year. RV insurance costs depend on several factors:
- Make, model and standard of your RV: Older RVs typically have lower premiums, while newer RV models typically have higher premiums. Travel trailers, camper vans and other types of RVs also have separate premiums.
- How you will use your RV: Commercial and full-time RV insurance is more expensive than vacation use because of the constant wear and tear of the vehicle.
- Whether you choose optional coverage: You will pay a higher premium if you opt for optional coverage.
- Gender, age and marital status of the RV operator: Insurance premiums are higher for people who are more likely to get into an accident, such as male drivers, drivers under 25 or over 70, and solo drivers. Check out our review of the best auto insurance for high-risk drivers to learn more.
Since you can’t get an online quote from Nationwide, you’ll need to call Nationwide or meet with a local agent to get an estimate tailored to your situation.
Nationwide financial stability
The financial stability of an RV insurance provider is important to trust that you will receive payouts and reliable coverage. You can find financial strength ratings of issuers from credit rating agencies such as Demotech, DBRS, Inc. and AM Best.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, the leading entity in the nationwide corporate structure, has received an A+ (Superior) rating from AM Best.
Its accessibility nationwide
Licensed in all 50 states nationwide. However, the terms and availability of RV insurance plans and packages may vary by state. Also, some discounts may not apply to all policy coverages.
You can contact Nationwide RV Insurance by calling 1-877-669-6877 weekdays from 9 am to 10 pm EST or Saturdays from 11 am to 3 pm EST.
Alternatively, you can speak to a local Nationwide agent if you prefer a face-to-face meeting. Unlike many of its competitors, Nationwide does not have a 24/7 online chat function.
Compared to its competitors, Nationwide’s website lacks information about its RV insurance policies. Although Nationwide has an education center, most of the articles are educational content about other types of insurance, such as auto, home and small business insurance.
Also, Nationwide does not allow customers to view or download standard policy samples. As a result, customers may have a challenging time figuring out whether Nationwide is the best insurer for them.
We had a hard time finding more information through phone calls. When we called Nationwide’s customer service to learn more about the company’s RV insurance, the agent told us they couldn’t give us a price estimate or even a price range unless we had detailed information about a specific RV.
Nationwide RV Insurance Customer Satisfaction
While JD Power has not specifically evaluated Nationwide’s RV insurance customer satisfaction, it did evaluate customer satisfaction ratings for Nationwide’s auto insurance products in 2022.
- California — received 787/1000 nationwide (regional average was 820/1000)
- Central — Scored 800/1000 nationwide (regional average was 835/1000)
- Mid-Atlantic — Scored 829/1000 nationwide (regional average was 839/1000)
- North Central — Scored 809/1000 nationwide (regional average was 838/1000)
The Southeast was the only region with a nationwide average customer satisfaction rating with a score of 850/1000. The regional average for the Southeast was 849/1000.
However, Nationwide received an A+ from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which indicates that the company has made good efforts to properly address customer complaints.
Nationwide RV Insurance FAQ
Is nationwide good at paying claims?
AM Best Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, the apex body of the nationwide corporate structure, has rated A+ (Superior). Although this indicates the ability to pay claims, several customers have complained that they did not receive the expected payment due to what was stated in their policy.
Nationwide is a recognized national brand and is recognized by the BBB, where it holds an A+ rating.
Which state has the cheapest RV insurance?
Nationwide does not provide RV insurance pricing on its site or by phone. You must call the company or speak with a local nationwide agent to get a customized quote.
How We Evaluated RV Insurance Nationwide
We evaluated RV insurance nationwide by analyzing the following:
- The number and quality of RV insurance discounts available
- Policy plans and offers and how well they cater to different needs
- Financial strength rating according to AM Best
- Insurance reviews and ratings from trusted third-party sites like BBB
Money Nationwide RV Insurance Review Summary
Nationwide RV insurance can protect you and cover the cost of your RV in the event of a covered incident. Nationwide offers a variety of discounts, including discounts for multiple vehicles, multiple policies, taking an RV safety course and keeping a safe driving record for 36 months.
However, Nationwide does not offer comprehensive online quotes or discounts online.
Check out our RV rental insurance tips to learn more about your options. If you use your RV for travel, check out our review of the best travel insurance.