Corey Bigsby (Photo Courtesy: Hampton Roads Regional Jail)

Hampton, Va. (WAVY) – Corey Bigsby seems to understand the legal process before him, but not the seriousness of the charges he faces.

It is Dr. Ware Zwarmer, a psychologist who evaluated the 44-year-old father in February and March and decided he was not competent to stand trial.

Bigsby was charged Abusing and neglecting her four young sonsWith Cody Bigsby. The 4-year-old has been missing for more than a year, and authorities assume she is dead. Her father is the only interested person behind her disappearance.

Zawermer concluded that Bigsby understood the roles of judge, jury and prosecution, but lacked “a reasonable understanding of his legal situation” or the ability to assist his defense team, court records show.

Zawarmer highlighted two instances that led him to believe that Bigsby did not understand the seriousness of the charges against him. When the doctor asked Bigsby about the 30 charges he faced, he said he was arrested for “buying too many groceries” and that he “didn’t pick up the kids when they were asleep.”

The doctor asked Bigsby why he believed he was getting a forensic evaluation and he said, “Maybe they think I’m smart. Maybe they want me to give my kids back. Maybe I can get ready to go home.”

While at Hampton Roads Regional Jail, Bigsby’s evaluations described a series of “increasing confusion” and “strange” behavior.

Zawermer wrote that Bigsby’s own biographical information, including how many children he had and their names, was full of inaccuracies. Bigsby declined to name the four boys accused of abuse and neglect.

When he was shown a copy of the indictment against him, Bigsby told the doctor that the children’s names were fake and that “a person determined to deliberately slander his name entered,” court records show.

Bigsby self-reported to prison staff that he suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after serving 20 years in the US Army. While in prison, Bigsby was also diagnosed with delusional disorder, unspecified psychosis and migraines, according to court records.

Zawermer also spoke with Bigsby’s sister and daughter. They said Bigsby’s Army career caused him significant stress and created paranoia. Family members died while he was serving overseas, and he found the body of a soldier who died by suicide while under his command, court records said.

Bigsby’s daughter told Zawermer that his paranoia first became apparent while stationed in New Jersey. He remembers having a child and a friend at home. The pair were laughing in his bedroom when Bigsby accused them of talking about it. He believed neighbors were talking about him, according to court records.

Bigsby was placed on suicide watch at least twice while incarcerated at HRRJ. Once he found a stash of drugs in his cell, and another time he told a corrections officer he wanted to hang himself. Both times, Bigsby denied taking action or issuing threats, court records said.

Also letters written by Bigsby that contradicted other statements and were against his best interests while in prison. One of those letters is the basis of his defense team’s motion to dismiss the case against him. His attorney, Amina Matheny-Willard, would not release the contents of the letter, but said it “changed the course” of his trial and showed the deterioration of his mental health.

Bigsby also complained to a mental health professional that he heard voices in his head telling him to kill himself. He also told jail medical staff that he had a machine implanted in his head and asked for surgery to remove it, according to court records.

Bigsby denied having any mental health problems and refused treatment at HRRJ. A Hampton Circuit Court judge recently sent Bigsby Eastern State Hospital To receive skill restoration services within the next two months.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *